Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Alek Wek

Alek Wek is one of my fave supermodels. I personally think she is so unique.
Recently she has written a book entitled "Alek Wek : From Sudanese Refugee to International Supermodel"

In her book, Wek provides honest insight into the politics of identity, race, and beauty. She writes:

"Whether I like it or not, my skin defines me. The first thing many people notice about me is how dark my skin is. Not just in America and Europe but also, to a lesser extent, in Sudan. In Khartoum, my skin marked me as a southerner, probably a Dinka, and many lighter-skinned residents of the city looked down on me. Racism exists everywhere."

"I've noticed that journalists often liked to say that I'd been discovered in "the bush," in Africa. As if I had been a primeval innocent afoot in the forest when the great model agent plucked me from the muck and tamed me, without destroying my savage beauty."

"Beauty is such a subjective notion. When I was growing up, I never saw myself as beautiful. I looked like my sisters, and like most of the other Dinka girls. We were all dark, tall, and lithe. I had the added problem of psoriasis: the few times I took a look at myself in the mirror, I wasn't pleased."

What do you think?
(Img taken from here)

No comments: